Sunday, November 27, 2011

Rogue's Advent Calendar


4 weeks to grow... I mean go.

Belly getting rounder, belly hair thinner, and milk faucets getting bigger... yep! TM x Rogue babies in there!!!
Since we did progesterone testing we are pretty certain the due date is Christmas Eve/Christmas Day... give or take a day or two. But I've got a pile of potential names based on Christmas movies and songs. And I've put up a countdown widget for the litter's expected arrival.
If you would like to be considered for one of these puppies please contact me. Babies will be black or brindle.
***Correction (11/28/11): babies may be black with tan or brindle points, brindle, red/sable. See chart here. Both Rogue and TM are brindle and carry tri.
##### Further understanding (11/29/11): TM is homozygous for brindle. (Rogue probably is too.) He carries red and tri. (As does Rogue as all brindles carry red and Rogue's sire was tri which means he had to give her a tri gene.) Brindle is dominant and only one gene is needed for it to be expressed. So if the babies have a red base they will be brindles, some will carry tri. If they express the tri (they have to receive a tri chromosome from both TM and Rogue so only 25% chance) they will be black with brindle points. If you're confused by all of this I understand. It's taken me 2 days of reading whenever I had a little spare time to make sure I have it right. I might at some point draw up a Pundett square but the bottom line is there will be mostly brindle babies and a few black/brindle-pointed babies in The Christmas Litter.

6 comments:

penni said...

What! No reds or sables? Regardless of color, I can't wait to watch them grow.

Carolyn Cannon said...

I tried to comment last night with my phone, but something *ate* my comment. I think it was the captcha code (word verification).

Rogue has a 50% chance of carrying red/sable/tri from Huxley. I was thinking that TM carries red/sable.

Hmmm, Christmas themed black girl named "Silent Night"? The whole "Free Speech" thing didn't work out so well for me.

Léo said...

Oooooh. Cool! I love me a red! We'll see what happens. I like Silent Night too.

Léo said...

I heard back from TM's mom and he has never produced a red. As much as he's been used it would defy the laws of probability for him to make one now. But I'm still open to the surprise.

Elbeepem said...

Here's hoping for an easy whelp and healthy pups...whatever the color. Keeping the dial tuned to your blog for updates now that the time is drawing near!

(OK, this is weird. My word verification allowing me to make this comment was "redism.") After all this discussion on red dogs...kharma!

Léo said...

I will probably be posting on FB first. Then after all are born and learning how to latch on I will put the story with photos here.

I'll get my redhaired baby someday...