Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Rogue is not! all ears

Who knew way back then they'd cause a bit of trouble for some folks...

To make it more problematic they had the audacity to go and get spots...


So it's happened twice that I know of that people have expressed curiousity about these ears of Rogue's. She is not a mismark and she is definitely not a black brindle with blue merle points.

From a trusted breeder-judge: Rogue "has many good qualities - pretty head, good bone, full coat, good tail set and carriage, good side movement. ... You are much more fortunate than most breeders...." And he's not the only one. Another said, "Whatever you do don't get rid of Rogue from your breeding program." I hadn't even considered it!

The Illustrated Standard says: "Blue merle appears as gray with piebald patterned black patches, or a marbled effect of black and gray. And merling (marbling) other than blue merle is a disqualification. White markings may appear almost anywhere (on the ears, on the body, or on the sides as a splash) and are perfectly acceptable, but white must not predominate (greater than 50% of the dog). White should never surround the eyes. Freckles of darker color (ticking) may appear in the Cardigan's white markings and are perfectly acceptable."

I am not upset about it because I know how wonderful she is. And I won't dye her ears to make winning easier. They're just too beautiful. I just hope the judges who enter the ring with the Cardigans realize these are the ones with tails and they come in more designer colors (in Pems Rogue's coloring would be all wrong). I also want for them to be bold enough to recognize her many virtues in spite those audacious, and absolutely marvelous, ears.

So no, we're not all ears... but we are listening. ;-)

10 comments:

Taryn said...

I LOVE the freckled ears! My first Cardi had them and I thought they were just wonderful, of course, I don't show in the Breed ring so didn't have to deal with a judge's opinion.

Léo said...

I am not worried about it really. It's just been a bit interesting and thought I would share.

Notice both traits are "perfectly acceptable." I think they're perfect for darn sure!

manymuddypaws said...

omg she is beautiful!!! love the freckles@

Kaye said...

well I'm one of those think outside the box kind of girl, so anything a little different and I like it, love the freckles....

dreameyce said...

I've always hated the times I see an odd-ball dog of higher quality dumped for a cookie-cutter dog of lower quality because judges are unsure/unwilling to take risks on things they're not sure about. I'm not just talking about Cardigans, but as a whole.

Many times "something different" is assumed to be a bad thing, rather than simply something different.

Kristine said...

Ok those are SERIOUSLY the BEST ears EVER!!!! I admit I know zilch about conformation but I'd give her Best of Breed just FOR her ears!

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...

Luther has the very same ears!

Jules said...

Those ears are stunning!

Elbeepem said...

Well, based on today's results, as reported on Carolyn's blog, her beautiful ears are not going to stand in her way of winning!

Rogue is lovely, and has been from the beginning!