Tuesday, July 27, 2010

beauties of the day



I planted these about 3 years ago. This year they have been so inspiring I'd like to fill the entire 2 acres with them, in as many colors as they come! If only I could!!
From the Wikipedia:
"Daylilies are perennial plants. The name Hemerocallis comes from the Greek words ἡμέρα (hēmera) "day" and καλός (kalos) "beautiful". The flowers of most species open at sunrise and wither at sunset, possibly replaced by another one on the same stem the next day."
I suppose most everyone knows that about daylilies. But the lesson I take from them is nothing stays the same, to appreciate the beauty while it is, and tomorrow there will be more to savor so I should keep my eyes open to the possibilities.
And keep planting... Who knows? Bit by bit amazing things can happen.

6 comments:

2Grandmas2 said...

Pretty enough to paint or draw, I'm thinking.

Léo said...

Is that a request, Nancy? ;-D

2Grandmas2 said...

I was thinking more along the lines of therapy, but yeah. I love to see your work....and the lillies are beautiful as well.

Léo said...

I kind of understood. :-)
And you're right about me needing therapy. LOL!!
Seriously, thanks for the support. ;-)

Kaye said...

They are also edible, but I can think of a million things I would eat before eating a daylily!!!

Léo said...

Yes, they edible. My kids like them raw. I've heard of them being good battered and fried...but that's true of just about anything!