Friday, October 22, 2010

Finding my wings



So if you read my earlier post you are aware I took the first part of Medical Terminology over the summer. I'm currently taking the second part. This week the instructor was going over the study guide for an upcoming test. She said she would try to do some drawings for us to label and she added "if I can learn to draw." I told her I'd help by doing the drawings if she wanted. She accepted.
That was Tuesday.
I then spent 7 hours Wednesday and Thursday morning drawing, and drawing and more drawing. And then scanning and creating a word document she could use. I don't really have 7 hours to spare in my typical day so I didn't get much sleep. You know what? I didn't care. I so love drawing and painting. And the instructor loved the work. She jokingly said I get an automatic A! Later I had to promise to still do the work and learn something.
(See my art blog post for the complete project of works. The link is in the side bar.)

So I'm looking into Medical Illustration. It's usually freelance so the salary ranges greatly depending on a lot of factors, not the least of which are ambition and skill set. Between $40,000 and $150,000 according to one site. The upper end of that sounds kind of sweet. Plus I could work at home and travel, and have much more time with my kids and dogs.

The best part? I have been on a high for two days. Not extreme. But just happy, confident. I'd like to feel this way whenever I have a job to do.

It is a bit daunting to think of all that may lie ahead. Basically a pre-med program to be able to communicate well both with clients and translate visually for the intended audience. Baby steps. I'm going to talk to my adviser next week.


3 comments:

Kristine said...

Wonderful drawings Le'o! I'm always so envious of people with artistic talent--it is such a GIFT!

I think a career in medical illustration sounds great! What a great blend of art and science!

2Grandmas2 said...

What a great idea!!

Dawn said...

I wish you much success in the endeavor. From these drawings it sure seems you should be successful! Lovely, if you can call ankles lovely that is.