Monday, June 22, 2009

nom, nom, nom...

Okay. So I went to the store today. I realized I had bought the wrong baby meats. I have fed the babies this.

They are about 50 cents for 4 oz. jars. They have veggies in them. And they stain the little white footie paws.
I see there are just meats. Well they have broth, cornstarch, and in the case of beef, lemon juice to retain color.

The little teensy 2.5 oz. jars of baby meats are nearly a buck apiece. 5 lbs. of ground turkey is about $7.
I cooked a whole chub. Reserved 1/2 for the grown dogs.
Mixed in 1-2 cups of rice cereal, a cup of goat's milk, and enough water to make it baby food consistency. (For those without baby food experience think thin applesauce.) Pureé in food processor. Voilá.
Enough food for several days. Store in the fridge enough to use in one day. Freeze the rest and use microwave to thaw? Maybe using icetrays to make cubes?

It doesn't take Carolyn's math skills to see how much less expensive this is.

Question: At what age does one start introducing organ meats and veggies? I'm thinking in tiny amounts it shouldn't hurt?

6 comments:

Kim said...

So that's exactly what I did on the last litter... at 4 weeks I'd buy those ginormous packs of gizzards at Winco and steam them on top of the groud turkey while it cooks. They refused to grind in the processor so I threw them in whole when feeding. It was a free for all to see who could gobble them up the fastest!

Ana would grab huge mouthfuls of them and hide them in the corners and put them under the chips when no one was looking.

I did a 5 lb chub of turkey and 1lb of gizzards or hearts at a time...

Kady Cannon said...

That looks great :-) Perfect turkey mush.

I think that it was at about 6 weeks that I started throwing in some vegetables. And at 8 weeks I started throwing in chicken wings to let them play with them and fight over them.

fancybred said...

for a bucket of meat paste that's a nice looking composition

Léo said...

Thanks FB.

I credit Robert Rauschenberg, Wayne Thiebaud and Claus Oldenberg as major influences on my work.

Kim said...

Yeah about 6 weeks I was trying to fill the never stop eating marshmallow and I started adding green beans...

No one even paused when they got their first one, thought they were nummers!

Léo said...

So I put about 1 cup and a half of the slop in their dish. That's about 1/4 cup for each puppy. They'd just had Kayla shakes before that. They ate it all!!
Some appeared to have collapsed under their own weight. zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Mail me all future headless rabbits your kitty leaves behind. I think these beasts may eat anything.