Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pick-a-Puppy part 2: fronts

Anyone who has been following knows it's down to 4 puppies. I've liked Rogue a lot for a while and I'm trying to take a step back and see if I need glasses, the kind that see what's really there.
People who see the photos I've posted aren't as impressed with her as much as they are with Logan, Jean and Mags.
Remy, Storm and Charlie are beautiful puppies but you start by eliminating those with the least to offer a breeding program. Charlie is a mismark so we knew from the beginning he couldn't be shown. But I bet he makes a very nice lady a wonderful agility prospect. Remy and Storm have faults but nothing that would interfere with their ability to work and most importantly provide loving companionship.

Breeding program. I was advised someone that I decide where I want to go. A couple of people suggested that I need to decide what I need. What is my ideal dog?
I need more bone. A lower tailset. I want great shoulders and rears. Most of all I want to have my dogs move. I have a great mover with lovely shoulders and rear and I want to keep that, build on it. But I have so much to learn!! And of course I want that BIS buddy!

A boy or a girl? I'll take advice on that. I've been told a girl would be better. It makes sense. Girls have fewer chances to reproduce. Sperm is cheap. Ova are costly. Just the way it is. In other words we all need more girls than we do boys. And I'm not rich enough to have very many dogs.

So here are the fronts. I chose to start there because someone said I needed to take more pictures of Rogue's front because that's what broke the deal for them on her.

Rogue's front and shoulder:



Jean's:



Mags:



And Logan:



So there they are. I like Rogue's bone. But is her chest too low for this age? Should she have a little more leg. Or is it that bone makes her look wide in front? Please. You won't hurt my feelings. I really want your feedback. If you're more comfortable saying it to me privately then that's ok too. Thanks for your help.

Update: I meant to include a reference for those who are interested in learning what we're talking about.
http://www.cardicommentary.de/front.htm

8 comments:

Kady Cannon said...

I don't think that you can have "too short of leg" at this age.

We saw a couple of what we originally thought were wide fronts really turn out great in a litter not too long ago.

Jeri said...

My thoughts from the first pictures earlier was that Rogue looks wide in the front, and a bit toed in. But she also has the best fill, you WANT the chest to drop down like that. From these new photos I like hers the best, and yes I'd take a chance on a wide front as I've seen them come in. Not the least of which was Lizzie. :)

Emily said...

Rogue by far has the best front IMO. I love the way that her chest is dropping and even though she is wider, she has the proper wrap coming in and the straight foot down. That straight foot is oh so important in turn out. I also like her placement of her shoulder better from the others, although still could use more. Many of the other puppies pictured are too far forward, which means that the front will have to compensate either in turn out or in another way. If you look at Jean's front, she is probably my least favorite, mainly because of her feet and I would be afraid she would end up being that too turned out as an adult dog. Part of the problem I see consistently is too short of an upper arm, which you have in the lines you bred from. So, next time, take who ever you keep to an excellent upper arm. That is partly why fronts are forward. As far as height. I personally like a lower puppy at this point as I think they come back to this stage as an adult. If they are taller on leg right now, they probably will be taller on leg as an adult. You have to be careful at this age with too long in loin as well. I don't want hardly any loin length at this point, otherwise they will end up way too long. This is of course a pet peeve of mine as their length should come from their ribs.

Also, as far as the male/female thing...also think of do you have that WOW male that will become an instant special or do you have a female that has virtues that maybe you can then breed on with and get that wow male special. A male has to be extra special for me to keep it in some way, otherwise they may be easy finishers but won't go any farther.

Sorry for the book. Of course all IMO!

Dawn said...

I really like Rogues front, I like her leg length. Jean though looks super balanced and solid, and that is very attractive. I LOVE Rogues face and expression-but that could just be that she is more animated in the picture. Hard choice. I like Logan best of the boys. But I hav eonly had one litter of my own to evaluate, and it was HARD!

Baledwr said...

Flirt was a super long/low puppy...she had interesting proportions as a baby.

Interestingly enough her upper arm is quite decent, and her mother (Krissy) had a beautiful upper arm but she was much leggier overall and shorter backed, not near the profile. She can move wonderfully though.

I *think* what the other poster saw in Rogue is the shoulder placement from the front. It's awfully hard to tell in a single picture, but they might be outside her body or "bunchy". That could be hair, but it's very common in some lines. We used to see it a lot more, about 10-15 years ago in the breed.

Again, I'm not sure, I'm reserving any judgement not having seen them in person (though I kindof like Jean).

Baledwr said...

oops, just saw Jeri's comment...lol

Jeri said...

I'm gonna be the last person to start commenting overly much on bunchy shoulders. ;)

Juniper said...

Rogue, even if she's a little wide as an adult (which I don't think she ultimately will be) you can train a good stack and improve even more in her puppies. I think she will fall into place more harmoniously than Jean.

Logan would be my #1 boy and combined with the rear a very aesthetic package. The question is do you want another boy? There's nothing like being the center of a boy corgi's universe but they don't share orbit very well with other boys.

Without knowing movement and any personality quirks that may be starting to present (the Super Princess 'Tude for example) Rogue and Logan are the best 2D puppies in my opinion.